Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Monkey Socks!

Finally I feel the need to write about my knitting. I just finished the first of Lexi's so called "Monkey" socks. Not because they look like a monkey or were inspired by one, but rather, because the designer, one Cookie A., had an idea and had to work and work at it until she could get the pattern to work out the way she wanted ... thus getting the monkey off her back.

I really enjoyed working on this sock for several reasons. I don't usually swatch for socks but I read a few posts on Ravelry that said the socks came out bigger than people expected. These are a Christmas gift for Alexis whose feet are a little smaller than mine (she's 10 years old). So I swatched. And I'm glad I did. I ended up doing these on 0 needles. Initially, I was a bit stressed about that as I figured it would take me forever but in reality, they've gone pretty quickly. I can only knit on the train to and from work (or sitting at the doc's office) as Alexis is around and I don't want her to see so I'm thrilled that it goes as quickly as it does.

I'm about 80% done and expect to finish the second sock by the end of this week. This has been a fun pattern to knit and I am sure that I will re-visit it to make some for myself after my holiday knitting rush is done. Here's a photo of sock number 1.

No comments: